Minimum Charge for Low Density Freight (Note1)
A. Cubic Capacity and Density.
- Any shipment which has an average density of less than 6 pounds per cubic foot, and requires or occupies 750 cubic feet or more, will be subject to the minimum charge as stated in C below.
B. Density Calculation
- Density is determined per item 110 Sec 8, Sec 8 (a), and Sec8 (b) of STB NMF 100 series. A vertical dimension of ninety six (96) inches shall be used to determine the cube of any article, which cannot be top loaded because of:
- The nature of the article, or irregular shape on top.
- Packaging or lack of packaging used.
- Palletization in a pyramided, rounded, or topped off manner, or exceeding 60” in height.
- Specific instructions from the shipper on the bill of lading to the effect that no other freight is to be loaded on top of the article or pallet.
- When a bulkhead has been constructed in a DUBL vehicle.
- Width dimension will be calculated at 84 inches for pallets for articles exceeding a width 54 inches or more when another like article or pallet cannot be loaded alongside, or when a bulkhead has been constructed in a DUBL vehicle.
- When a bulkhead has been constructed in DUBL’s vehicle the linear distance from the inside of the trailer to the portion nearest the rear of the trailer will be used to determine the length.
C. Minimum Charge
- Multiply the cubic feet of trailer space required, as specified in B above by 6 pounds per cubic foot to determine a constructed weight for the shipment. Then to this constructed weight apply class 125 rates with applicable discounts and base rates
- The provisions of item 171 (Bumping Clause) of the STF NMF 100 series will not apply in connection with the application of this item.
- Freight All Kinds (FAK), Exception Ratings or other reduced class rates and Commodity rates will not have application with this item.
The provisions of this item are not applicable:
- Where the otherwise applicable charges are greater than this rule.
- When Rates or Charges are determined by any unit of measurement other than weight.
- When Capacity Load Minimum Charge or Exclusive Vehicle provisions apply.
- When Truckload or Volume Rates or charges per vehicle or Trailer are applicable.
Note 1: For the purpose of applying this rule and charge, when two or more shipments are tendered to DUBL by the same Consignor, from the same place during one calendar day for delivery to the same consignee at one place and where remittance will be paid by the same payor, they will be considered one shipment.
Issue Date: 12/16/2016 (1st revised)
Effective Date: 1/16/2017